How can I tell if my property is older than sixty years?

Owners of properties older than sixty years need a permit from the relevant Provincial Heritage Resources Authority (PHRA) before they can alter or demolish any structures. The most common way to find out the age of a property is to go to your nearest municipal plans archive to find the original building plans which will be dated.

Sometimes plans are not available so additional research will be needed. You could hire a professional to search various archives, look at old aerial photographs or even visit the property to analyse architectural styles and building materials and methods. Click here to search for a professional.