When do I need a heritage permit?

You will need to apply for a permit from the appropriate heritage authority if you are planning to 'destroy, damage, deface, excavate, alter, remove from its original position, subdivide or change the planning status' of a declared or provisionally declared heritage site. You will also need to apply for a permit if any structure or part of any structure is older than 60 years.

This answer is relevant for structures (it does not deal with archaeology, palaeontology, meteorites, graves, burial sites or heritage objects).