S.A. School of Music Johannesburg

The Herbert Baker designed S.A. School of Music was built in 1906 on what was the former tennis court of “leading businessman” Mr. Morris Rosenburg situated at 96 End Street. Its foundation stone was laid by Lady Farrar, wife of Sir George Farrar, on 26 January 1906. The building also served as a macaroni factory from 1926 before it was restored into the Adam Leslie Theatre in 1967. At one time, it was the only unplastered brick gable building in the Transvaal. On 20 Augut 1976 it became MANDYS – a nightclub (in two incarnations under the same name) that saw through 70s disco and the 80s HI-NRG eras. In the late 80s it turned into IDOLS. Sometime later in the 90s after IDOLS, it became another popular dance club called ESP. Again, a legendary place and famous for going on non-stop right through to Sunday night. All three clubs were icons in their respective scenes and are fondly remembered by all who went there. (Marc Latilla)
Alternative Name: 
Adam Leslie Theater
Pending Rating
Architectural Firm: 
Declaration Status: 
Not Declared
Blue Plaque: 
Construction Date - Completion: