Radium Beer Hall

Opened as a tearoom by the Khalil [Kalil] family in 1929, the Radium pursued a double life as a shebeen illegally selling liquor to black customers. The bar counter was rescued from the demolished Ferreirastown Hotel, and it is believed that during the 1913 strike trade unionist Mary Fitzgerald delivered her speech to striking miners standing on its scarred surface. (Blue plaque inscription) Typical 1930 single storey row of shops with columns supported veranda along the shopfronts and main entrance to beer hall on the corner of Ninth Street and Louis Botha Avenue. The Radium Beer Hall forms part of a historical cluster in the area and needs to be preserved as an important social site of Orange Grove. (Tsica Heritage Consultants 2016)
Pending Rating
Original Owner: 
Kalil Family
Architectural Firm: 
Declaration Status: 
Not Declared
Blue Plaque: 
Construction Date - Completion: